Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: 811 horn dampening

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    811 horn dampening

    I have a few Altec horns lying around so, I modified a pair of 811 horns using 8 black silicone canisters that I purchased at The Depo for around $4 each.

    I completely filled the two bell cavities in front of the mounting baffle plates - smoothing out the material with a large putty knife. It is not completely dry yet, but the damping from the silicone appears to be substantial. Now, there is no ringing and the horn gives out a deep but low "thud" when struck. I have not mounted the drivers and tested the mod yet, but, at this stage, I don't think it will be nessary to apply anything to the horn material in the back of the baffle mounting brackets.

    Anyway, this seems like a simple mod that could be reversed if needed - so no harm, no foul, I suppose.

    I have not found the factory horns to be ringers when mounted properly in a cab but I have not listened to dampened horns either. So, frankly, this just an experiment for my knowledge only.

    Obviously, there has been a lot of discussion of this topic and I found from my research that most people used either silicone or non-hardening modeling clay.

    So far, this has worked well and the black silicone closely matches the factory black paint.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 811 horn dampening

    Cool.
    What is the silicon like? The stuff that comes in tubes for the caulking guns?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 811 horn dampening

    Yes; the silcone comes in a tube and is applied using a caulking gun. At its deepest point, it is about 2 inches thick - so I expect it may take a few days to fully dry.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 811 horn dampening


  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 811 horn dampening

    Good idea; looks good too.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 811 horn dampening

    Looks much better than the modeling clay I applied to my 511b horns.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 811 horn dampening

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Robert your pictures seem to be 404ing.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.